Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
Home Instructions Before Oral Surgery
Please follow these instructions to prepare for oral surgery with IV Sedation.
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for eight (8) hours prior to the appointment. You may have small amounts of water up until two (2) hours prior to your surgery.
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home. A responsible adult should be able to remain with the patient for the first 24 hours following anesthesia.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia experience or while under the influence of pain medication.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Drs. Cross or Sharma prior to your surgical date for instructions.
- If the patient is a minor, a legal guardian must be present the day of surgery.